Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Mrs.Maldonado's Art Class

Hello Everyone,
  Just to give you a recap on [one of my jobs] the last year: It started when my youngest son, Diego started Kindergarten (yeah) and I immediately bought  painting canvas and whipped out my old paints and began to  release all the creative energy I had as a stay-at-home mom.  Within 10 days, I painted 5 paintings...now what?!
    In the past school years, for my oldest son,[Kuba, 3rd grade] I had put together some short-term craft programs and they were well received, so I thought, maybe I should start a After School Art program for those kids left in extended day with only bouncing a ball as a activity.  Before I knew it, I had put together a proposal, pitched it and was hired as an after school Arts and Craft teacher for grades K-5, with a program I dubbed the "Slow Art Movement".
   A year of daily Arts and Craft classes, supplied with only basic materials - tape, glue, color paper, pipe cleaners, breads, stick, pencils, markers, etc. and recycle paper goods. Nothing pre-cut, pre-engineered and no examples from me - only their own vision, with a little help in execution, if needed,  by me.  The only rules in class were SHARE ideas, critiques, materials and information and to respect artwork, supplies and personal space. There was to be NO grading -  NO deadline - NO judgement - NO pressure; and the student was able to leave whenever they felt they were done.  A little corner of the world were a kid could decompress. Really more like art therapy for self-esteem, socializing and ownership.
   This class was a instant hit! The students loved it, the parents loved, it and so did the teachers. It helped the shy, the wily, the not-so artistic [become artistic] and the crazed artist was allowed to be uninhibited.  The "color outside of the lines, get messy, be yourself" attitude went with our walls of many pictures and Popsicle stick houses and glitter covered floors.
   I had a golden year with my students, connecting, growing and always learning.  These students, who in the beginning of the class couldn't tear tape without a dispenser;  in the end, worked TOGETHER to create a full size playhouse made of recycled goods, lots of imagination and tons of happiness - best year ever, I LOVE ART!



2012 Cindy Ng a.k.a Mrs. Maldonado

No comments:

Post a Comment